One of my first from-scratch costumes, Lightning holds a special place in my heart. From the boots to her bag, gloves to armlets, and all 13 belts, this costume had me spending countless hours replicating the fictional character’s design. Even the Guardian Corps. pauldron was later remade with an EL wired clay sculpt.
Now retired, I wish to one day come back and see how much better I can make it again.
Blazefire Saber. Black, red, gunmetal. So beautiful, and easier to travel with in gun-mode. This was my very first prop that I made back in 2012. I wasn’t sure what material choices I had, so most of what I used came from the dollar store: foam board, 1-3mm craft foam, ModPodge, hot glue, and acrylic paints. Very basic, but not bad. A prop I’d love to revisit, but here’s how I made it!
Got an image of the concept art and did my best to skew it in Photoshop to match the proportions needed. Printed it out, cut it together for reference, and started to get to work with my trusty foamboard!
Additional craft foam proved difficult to seal in order to paint, so I had to use a lot of ModPodge.
Some progress! Detail painting was incomplete, but I wanted to get a better idea of how to glue the pieces together first.
And all the pieces still disassembled but ready for gluing! Most of it was done using either ModPodge or regular department store hot glue. The entire prop took maybe 4-5 days from start to completion around work.
Freshly finished! To save time on painting, I started coating red craft foam in ModPodge for details rather than waiting for coats to dry.
The final product in action.