While Myrtenaster had a copious amount of symmetrical engraving that was more easily printed, Miló also has its fair share of embellishments in the center of the blade. While there are 3 forms to be made (javelin, sword and rifle) the sword was the first decided upon.
Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY) is a very strong, powerful character who has never lost. As such, a warrior of her skill needs an equally badass weapon.
Each form for Miló.
Exploded view in Maya of the animation model after printing-edits. This particular build has several overlaying pieces, making it quite complex to assemble. A lot of the designs that were strictly texture based, such as the swirls on the base of the hilt and the plate covering the blade, were translated into extruded geometry to give a more ornate feeling to the final piece.
One thing I love about 3D printing is the level of design capability. Extruding a 2mm design lends so much to the look of the print under different types of lighting.
Temporarily assembled for test fitting. The blade itself has already been secure using Loctite Professional Super Glue. Something to consider is the couple of millimeters space between pieces to accommodate for primer and paint.
Exploded printed view. This was pre-sanding, so you can still see a lot of the ridges from the geometry that was printed.
Not having an actual workshop, I’ve made-do in a lot of places with some sheets of painter’s plastic. As you can see, I chose to paint the sword with a metallic gold as opposed to the orange-yellow in the show. I imagine that the armor is supposed to be made from some sort of metal, and as such find it appropriate to make it look that way.
Partial assembly and some painting still required. A lot of the red details running lengthwise on the blade and hilt need to be masked and painted before everything can be finalized and put together.
I used a gold leafing pen to carefully ink the raised designs on the blade embellishment. I highly recommend this method for intricate designs as it’s far more accurate and efficient than making stencils and correcting bleeds.
Due to some warping, several clamps were required to aid the curing process of the super glue.
Here’s the finished product on display at RTX 2014. The display stand was also 3D printed.